October 24, 2010

Magical Leek Soup

My local library had a book sale today, and I've been totally pumped up all day since I managed to snag a copy of Jacques Pepin's La Technique and Marcella Hazan's More Classic Italian Cooking for a buck each. Both have been in my wish list forever, so I can't wait to go through them.

Today's recipe is actually the Magical Leek Soup recipe from Mireille Guiliano's French Women Don't Get Fat. I first discovered the book years ago when I lived in Japan; it was one of the few English books that my local library carried. I normally would not have given it a second look since I don't believe in dieting, but I must admit that some of the recipes it contained did intrigue me enough to try them.

Magical Leek Soup
Serves one for the weekend
  • 2 lbs. leeks
  • Water to cover in a large pot
  1. Clean leeks (starts at the 4:30 mark if you want to watch the proper way to do this) and rinse well to get rid of sand and soil. Cut end of green parts leaving all the white parts plus a suggestion of green. (Reserve the extra greens for soup stock.)
  2. Put leeks in large pot and cover with water. Bring to boil and simmer with no lid for 20-30 minutes.
I like to eat mine with a dollop of organic, cold-pressed olive oil from my local Greek market. Sorry, no picture today. I was too hungry to wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment