October 11, 2010

Japanese-Style Aioli


Despite the picture shown above, today's recipe is actually just for the aioli. I was in the mood for some takoyaki today when I realized that I didn't have any mayonnaise to go on top of it; however, since I wanted something a little different I decided to go with an aioli instead.

The usual aioli recipe doesn't contain sugar, but I wanted something a little closer to Japanese mayonnaise when I made this. Rice vinegar is less sour than most vinegars, but the end result still turned out quite tangy. If you prefer a sweeter flavor profile, cut down the vinegar to 1 tablespoon.

 Japanese-Style Aioli (print recipe)
  • 2 egg yolks
  • Dash shichimi togarashi
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoon rice vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 cup neutral oil, like grapeseed or corn, or extra virgin olive oil, or a combination
  • 1 crushed garlic clove (up to 4 cloves, depending on taste)
Method
  1. Put the yolks, shichimi togarashi, mustard, salt, pepper, garlic, and rice vinegar in the container of a food processor or blender and turn the machine on. While it's running, add the oil in a slow, steady stream.
  2. When an emulsion forms you can add it a little faster. 
  3.  Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment