Normally I wouldn't alter a recipe on the first try, but I distinctly remember my guidebook listing only Indonesian food during my last trip to Amsterdam....
Japanese-Style Hutspot (Print Recipe)
- 1 large onion
- 2 medium-sized potatoes
- 3 carrots
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp hon dashi
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Cut the potatoes and carrots into small cubes. Thinly slice the onion.
- Saute the onion, carrots, and potatoes on high heat for a few minutes until the onions start to become translucent.
- Add the water and hon dashi. Let it boil.
- Lower the heat down to medium and add the rest of the ingredients. Let it cook uncovered for about twenty minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Turn off the heat and mash them together.