October 3, 2010

Hutspot

The Food & Think blog reminded me that it's Leidens Ontzet today, so I wanted to try and make some hutspot to celebrate. Some of the recipe notes I found online seemed a bit concerned about the lack of taste however, so I decided to play around with it a bit and flavor it like a nikujaga due to it having a similar list of veggies.

Normally I wouldn't alter a recipe on the first try, but I distinctly remember my guidebook listing only Indonesian food during my last trip to Amsterdam.... 


Japanese-Style Hutspot (Print Recipe)
  • 1 large onion
  • 2 medium-sized potatoes
  • 3 carrots
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 tsp hon dashi 
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 tablespoons mirin
  • 4 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  1. Cut the potatoes and carrots into small cubes. Thinly slice the onion.
  2. Saute the onion, carrots, and potatoes on high heat for a few minutes until the onions start to become translucent.
  3. Add the water and hon dashi. Let it boil.
  4. Lower the heat down to medium and add the rest of the ingredients. Let it cook uncovered for about twenty minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
  5. Turn off the heat and mash them together.

No comments:

Post a Comment